CTA and partners are happy to invite you to submit an expression of interest for consideration for three upcoming Plug & Play events. Your submission should clearly indicate which of the three events you are vying for and how your innovation, system, platform, app fits into the selected event.
The events are:
1. African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) Extension Week
Venue: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Date: 12 October 2015
Theme: ICTs for Extension and Advisory Services
Format: One-day event with demonstrations in the morning and engagement with practitioners as well as usability/functionality testing in the afternoon.
For more information, please visit the AFAAS website
2. International Workshop on ICT-based solutions within the scope of the Global GIZ Programme on Innovation Centres for Agriculture and Food Sector
Venue: International Training Centre, Feldafing, Germany
Date: 24 - 27 November 2015
Theme: ICTs for Value Chain Development in Agriculture
Format: Possibly two days of intense demonstrations and interaction with programme representatives on the potential of selected ICT-approaches in the programme countries
For more information, please visit the GIZ website
3. Global Forum for Innovations in Agriculture (GFIA), African Edition
Venue: Durban, South Africa
Date: 30 November 2015
Theme: ICTs for Sustainably Increasing Productivity
Format: Half-day demonstrations with the possibility of the best innovation pitching to the entire GFIA audience during the closing ceremony
For more information, please visit the GFIA Africa website
Plug & Play allows innovators to demonstrate their systems in-turns thereby allowing participant to experience as many innovations that is of interest. Participants have the time and opportunity for one-on-one discussion with peers and innovators on the challenges in the field, what is new, what is working, etc. Participants are encouraged to engage with the innovators during the sessions. It is a fantastic opportunity for a valuable and very practical insight into the new technologies and a true hands-on experience with demonstrations by prestigious application providers and experienced practitioners.
Innovations are selected through a competitive process to closely parallel the broader conference theme and streams and to meet the needs of all stakeholder groups. Innovators are given one minute each at the beginning of the event to pitch their innovations to the audience from which participants decide which one to visit. Innovators are then given rooms/booths and allocated time to demonstrate and engage participants on the potentials of their innovations.
- ICT innovators: It offers them the opportunity to demonstrate their solutions to interested clients
- Agricultural value chain actors: It enables them to discover the latest ICT platforms for their agricultural activities
- Investors: It provides them with a unique platform to identify viable areas for investment Donors: It presents options for discovering emerging areas for support
- Policy makers: It creates the room for understanding and exploring potential areas for policy and decision actions
CTA has a unique experience and the track record of organizing Plug & Play events. The first of its kind was organised in Kigali, Rwanda during the 2013 ICT4Ag International Conference. Around 40 different innovations covering almost all components of the agricultural value chain were demonstrated. In July 2014, the second Plug & Play event was staged in Nairobi during the Fin4Ag International Conference. About 15 innovations specific to agricultural finance were featured. The third Plug & Play event was organised in Arusha, Tanzania in December 2014 during an MIS Training Workshop where ICTs/mobile platforms supporting market information systems (MIS) especially data collection, processing, analysis, dissemination as well as 2 agribusiness activities such as tracking field activities, vouchers systems, subsidy programs, etc. were demonstrated.
If you have an innovation and interested in demonstrating in any of these events, please submit your expression of interest by following this link.
For more information on past Plug & Play events, visit the following portals:
- Plug & Play at ICT4Ag Conference, Kigali Rwanda
- Plug & Play at Fin4Ag Conference, Nairobi, Kenya
- Plug & Play at MIS Workshop, Arusha Tanzania