Under the MoU, CTA and AgriCord will support PAFO, its five regional members and their national members in collecting and using data on precision agriculture – so-called 'smart farming.' This will help these farmers' organisations to support the development of inclusive value chains, with special attention to the needs of youth.
The MoU provides a framework for developing a strategic technical and financial partnership that will leverage opportunities for farmer's organisations to enhance their impact. This will be done through:
- Supporting inclusive agribusiness development that will allow farmers to move up the value chain and increase their revenues;
- Enhancing the organisational and entrepreneurship capacities of farmers' organisations and support institutions;
- Showcasing and up-scaling entrepreneurial successes in agribusiness and technology transfer, including improving ICT use by young agripreneurs;
- Promoting increased generation and use of data management from farmers to improve access to markets by collective sales and supporting membership registration to provide profiles of farmers to improve access to finance;
- Promoting smart farming, on two fronts:
- a) Promoting an increased knowledge of precision farming for production, especially for young farmers and entrepreneurs;
- b) Enhancing business skills through smart support using ICT applications;
- Building partnerships to support development and uptake of precision agriculture and the use of 'big data' by farmers and raising funds to support these activities;
- Supporting internal and external communication activities to support the above;
- Building strong farmer-led monitoring and evaluation frameworks supporting governance of farmers' organisations in implementing the smart farming approach;
- Developing collective learning spaces.
Initial funding for this activity will be provided equally by CTA and AgriCord, and the partners will work together to attract new technical and financial partners to upscale and expand successful interventions.
CTA's latest publications on agricultural value chains and trade
- 'Opportunities for value chain finance in Africa’s intra-regional food trade'. CTA, Working paper, 2016
- 'Value chain finance for agricultural climate change resilience'. CTA, Discussion paper, 2016
- 'Including small-scale farmers in profitable value chains'. Value chains & Trade, 2016
Find out more