1. About CTA
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is a joint international organization of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the European Union (EU). Its mission is to advance food security, resilience and inclusive economic growth in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific through innovations in sustainable agriculture. CTA operates under the framework of the Cotonou Agreement and is funded by the EU.
CTA envisions agriculture in ACP countries as a vibrant, modern and sustainable business that creates value for smallholder farmers, entrepreneurs, youth and women, and produces affordable, nutritious and healthy food for all.
2. Background of the post
A consortium led by the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is bidding for a grant by the Netherlands Space Office (NSO) to implement a project that will harness the power of Geodata to support extension and advisory services for over 300,000 irrigated and rain-fed farmers in Ghana.
The geoPuu project, if successful is expected to run from 2018 to 2021 and will use data generated by satellite to improve production of maize, rice, sorghum, soya beans and a number of vegetable farmers across the country. Other partners in the consortium include eLEAF BV (eLEAF), SarVision Inc., Farmerline Limited, and the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority (GIDA) under the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA).
3. Duties & responsibilities of the position
The candidate will work directly with the Programme Manager, geoPuu based in the Netherlands and coordinate with the Project Manager (CoP), geoPuu based in Accra Ghana to monitor and report on all activities by consortium partners and other third-party service providers. The candidate will be the M&E contact person for the consortium with NSO and will ensure that all guidelines, deadlines and reporting templates are adhered to by partners.
Specifically, the successful candidate will:
- Support the Programme Manager in monitoring, evaluation and learning;
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOP) for data collection, management, analysis and reporting;
- Ensure the collection of quality data by developing and implementing standardized processes, methodologies and tools;
- Liaise with M&E personnel of partner organisations for accuracy, completeness, relevance and timeliness of reporting on NSO's requirements, project indicators, and standard practice to ensure quality data collection and proper implementation of the project plan;
- Provide leadership and expert advice on design, development and roll-out of baseline, mid-line and end-line instruments;
- Collaborate and coordinate with communication specialists and other project staff of the consortium partners to develop case studies, document best practices and lessons learned through social media and briefing papers;
- Explore new methods and techniques e.g., experience capitalization, outcome harvesting, etc. to gain in-depth understanding of the intended and unintended outcomes;
- Ensure gender focus is appropriately and adequately addressed in all aspects of M&E;
- Report to the relevant Programme Coordinator ICTs at CTA;
- Overseas travel will be required.
4. Qualifications, experience & skills
- Candidates must be nationals of one of the ACP or EU States signatory to the Cotonou Agreement (79 African, Caribbean and Pacific States and the European Union Member States).
- Education: Bachelor's degree in social science (Master's preferred).
- Work experience: at least 3 years of relevant experience in similar position;
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation (M&E) for large-scale, complex, international development projects and businesses will be an advantage;
- Knowledge and experience with the approaches to "Experience Capitalization" will be a plus;
- Familiarity with evaluation methods and standards under the NSO/G4AW Facility;
- Experience developing results frameworks, logical frameworks, or similar tools for project design is required.
- Professional knowledge & skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in monitoring and evaluating programmes, including indicator development, study design, and data analysis;
- Experience with MIS system, designing evaluation tools, data collection, data quality management and analysis.
- Good interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills;
- Thorough knowledge of English;
- Excellent IT skills;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively against tight deadlines;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team and to perform under pressure;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, to be flexible and client oriented.
5. Appointment and conditions of employment
The Learning, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be appointed by the Director of the CTA upon the recommendation of the Selection Committee.
- Type of contract: short term, category auxiliary staff, level 3C
- Contract duration: 1 year (with a 6 months' probation period) with the possibility of renewal until the end of the project.
- Gross annual income on the basis of a 24-hour work week: from € 25.531,(mostly tax-free).
- Comprehensive benefits package.
6. How to apply
Interested candidates are required to send their application via email or mail. Applications should include:
- A letter of motivation (maximum one page) explaining why the candidate qualifies for this position;
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, preferably EUROPASS format ;
- Copies of the highest diploma/degree as well as training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to be presented once a candidate is selected.
Applications submitted by email should be sent to Pascal Deleu, Human Resources Officer. Email: HR6@cta.int
Please indicate in the "Subject" of the email the title 'Learning, Monitoring & Evaluation Officer geoPuu''.
Deadline for applications: 15 February 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. A written/oral test may be requested in addition to the interview.
CTA is an equal opportunity employer and women are particularly encouraged to apply.