1. About CTA
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is a joint international organization of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the European Union (EU). Its mission is to advance food security, resilience and inclusive economic growth in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific through innovations in sustainable agriculture. CTA operates under the framework of the Cotonou Agreement and is funded by the EU.
CTA envisions agriculture in ACP countries as a vibrant, modern and sustainable business that creates value for smallholder farmers, entrepreneurs, youth and women, and produces affordable, nutritious and healthy food for all.
2. Background and purpose of the post
The position falls under the CTA's Corporate Services department and will be located in CTA's office in Wageningen, the Netherlands. The Corporate Services Department is responsible for the Centre's infrastructure, budget & financial management, personnel management, contractual affairs and information technology (IT) services.
The Finance Assistant will report to the Deputy Accounts & Budget. He/she is a team member working in close collaboration with CTA staff members to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
In accordance with CTA's procedures and guidelines, he/she will provide analytical and financial support to the programmes teams in the implementation of their activities so as to ensure that financial reporting tasks are accomplished in an effective and efficient manner.
With other members of the accounting unit, he/she will ensure accurate and timely processing of financial transactions in an effective way and in compliance with established procedures.
3. Duties & responsibilities
Under the responsibility of the Deputy Accounts & Budget the incumbent will be responsible for the following activities.
A) Financial management support for operations and project activities in order to ensure that the Programmes' finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner and comply with relevant policies and procedures. He/she will :
- Be the financial focal point for the Programmes' activities supporting effective budgeting and financial management;
- Produce and/or provide support with regards to interim, periodic and final budgets/ financial reports of the Programmes' activities;
- Assist with expenditure control as per approved projects and advice Programmes' manager and team members.
B) In compliance with the CTA's financial regulations and procedures as well as internationally-accepted accounting practices, he/she will:
- Prepare routine journal accounting entries as required;
- Processing and ensure correct accounting entries for invoices and claims;
- Prepare and verify payment of invoices, claim and advances;
- Collection of statistical data as required for reporting;
- Prepare financial tables, special reports and other ad hoc internal reports;
- Ensuring that management and programme coordinators are informed about financial results through the provision of periodical analysis reports;
- Respond to enquiries and provides support, advice and guidance to CTA staff members, suppliers or project managers;
- Undertake work associated with the annual opening and closing of accounts, reviewing and clearing suspense and clearance accounts, and performing closely related tasks;
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Deputy Accounts & Budget.
4. Qualifications, experience & competencies required
Education: Degree in accounting, business or public administration, finance management or related discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience with at least 2 years in the field of accounting or managing financial transaction processing, and/or income management, in an international environment.
- Experience in using integrated financial management and reporting systems.
- Prior experience managing the finances of donor-funded projects (UN, EU) would be an asset.
Professional knowledge & skills:
- Thorough knowledge of one of the Centre's two working languages (French or English) and a proven ability to work in the other.
- Sound financial and administrative management and reporting skills.
- Advanced computer skills including spreadsheets, accounting software and database applications.
- High degree of accuracy and analysis of financial information and data.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, to be flexible and client oriented.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team and to perform under pressure.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge or interest in development and/or agricultural issues and ACP/developing countries.
5. Appointment and conditions of employment
The candidate must be a national of one of the ACP or EU States signatory to the Cotonou Agreement (79 African, Caribbean and Pacific States and the European Union Member States).
The candidate must already have the right to work in the Netherlands. This being a locally recruited position, no reinstallation cost will be borne by the CTA.
The Finance Assistant will be appointed by the Director of the CTA upon the recommendation of the Selection Committee.
- A local contract for the duration of 12 months (renewable).
- Gross monthly income: € 2,700
- Leave allowance, travel allowance and pension benefit.
6. How to apply
Interested candidates are required to send their application via email or mail. Applications should include:
- A letter of motivation (maximum one page);
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, preferably EUROPASS format ;
- Copies of the highest diploma/degree as well as training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to be presented once a candidate is selected.
Applications submitted by email should be sent to Christèle Coutureau, Human Resources Officer. Email: HR3@cta.int
Please indicate in the "Subject" of the email the title 'Finance Assistant application'. Deadline for applications: 31 March 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. A written/oral test may be requested in addition to the interview.
CTA is an equal opportunity employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.