- The Caribbean is located in a key geographic position: between South and North America and across the Atlantic from Europe.
- Current major trade sectors that governments want to diversify away from include tourism, bananas, sugar, rum, and oil and gas. Sustainable agriculture is a sector Caribbean governments would like to expand.
- Selected governments have started issuing rebates on imports of inputs that go towards agriculture.
- Various trade agreements exist between countries in the Caribbean and the EU, the UK, and the US.
- Weather and soil permit the growth of sweet potato all year long, compared to other countries where production is more limited.
- There is strong local and international financial institution presence in the region.
* Thursday, July 6, 2017, based on the latest United Nations estimates
The Caribbean population is equivalent to 0.58% of the total world population.
The population density in the Caribbean is 194 per Km2
The total land area is 226,035 Km2 (87,273 sq. miles)
71.2% of the population is urban (31,157,092 people in 2017)
The median age in the Caribbean is 30.5 years
The Caribbean Forum of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States
The Caribbean Forum of the African, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States (CARIFORUM) consists of 15 states: Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago.
The 3 main languages spoken are Spanish (56%), French (28%), and English (15%)
Production of fresh sweet potatoes in selected Caribbean countries
The total production within the CARIFORUM region (without Haiti) amounted to 98,361.5 tonnes in 2014. The Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines produced ±95% of this amount. Sweet potato production in the same countries increased by 35% from 2007–2014, with the Dominican Republic and Jamaica leading by an order of magnitude.
Local governments are trying to diversify their product offering which is currently dominated by: