Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) and its GODAN Action partners in collaboration with Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) are pleased to announce an Open Data in Agriculture Workshop to be held during International Data Week in Gaborone, Botswana on 6 November 2018.
The workshop will be part of a two-day meeting of the Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) at the RDA Pre-Plenary meeting. It will provide an overview of open data in agriculture and nutrition and help participants to make better use or share open data. The workshop will provide users with the knowledge and specific skills they need to understand and use open data effectively and responsibly, and to participate fully in the agricultural open data community.
The training will have an online and face-to-face component.
- One (1) week online pre-workshop training – 29 October - 2 November 2018 (requires approx. 10 hours to complete);
- One (1) full day workshop - 8.30am - 5pm, 6 November 2018 in Gaborone, Botswana.
Infomediaries Including private and public sector - ICT professionals, information specialists, journalists, extension officers, and communication specialists. Those who take data as input and create outputs for others.
Researchers: Including private and public sector, communicate their research, collaborate with others - where appropriate - and transfer and exploit knowledge for the benefit of their employer, the economy and society as a whole.
Participants will acquire the following:
- A good understanding of the definition, significance, benefits, and best practices relating to Open Data in agriculture and nutrition.
- Techniques to search, acquire, evaluate, and select open data from a diverse set of sources.
- Knowledge and application of open data licenses.
- Approaches to clean and validate data where necessary.
- Techniques in data analysis and visualisation and data storytelling.
- Best practices for presenting, citing, and sharing data publicly.
- Understand good data management practices and apply the principles of conceptual frameworks for sharing open data
There is no registration fee to participate in the course. Very limited sponsorship is available towards travel. Participants or their organisations may therefore need to be fully responsible for all costs related to participation in the event, including travel, accommodation and subsistence.
Please note that participation is required for both the online and face-to-face component. The registration form is available here.
Registration will close on Wednesday, 10 October 2018
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.