CTA seeks to recruit a Project Manager for the geoPuu project. The Project Manager will be based in Ghana and coordinate the project on behalf of CTA by working with consortium partners and other third-party service providers.
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is a joint international organization of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the European Union (EU). Its mission is to advance food security, resilience and inclusive economic growth in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific through innovations in sustainable agriculture. CTA operates under the framework of the Cotonou Agreement and is funded by the EU.
CTA envisions agriculture in ACP countries as a vibrant, modern and sustainable business that creates value for smallholder farmers, entrepreneurs, youth and women, and produces affordable, nutritious and healthy food for all.
Background of the post
A consortium led by the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is bidding for a grant by the Netherlands Space Office (NSO) to implement a project that will harness the power of Geodata to support extension and advisory services for over 300,000 irrigated and rain-fed farmers in Ghana.
The geoPuu project, if successful is expected to run from 2018 to 2021 and will use data generated by satellite to improve production of maize, rice, sorghum, soya beans and a number of vegetable farmers across the country. Other partners in the consortium include eLEAF BV (eLEAF), SarVision Inc., Farmerline Limited, and the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority (GIDA) under the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA).
Duties & responsibilities of the position
The Project Manager will be based in Ghana and coordinate the project on behalf of CTA by working with consortium partners and other third-party service providers. The position requires expertise and experience in project management – technical and administrative – and the ability to handle negotiations with key stakeholders in Ghana such as the Dutch Embassy, the Ministries, the Meteorological Department, private sector partners and other businesses that may have interest in the project. It will involve communication with partners on all aspects of project performance and implementation; identification of opportunities and challenges in meeting project outputs, objectives and supporting project partners to meet project performance goals.
The Project Manager will be the link between geoPuu and the CTA headquarters by monitoring all aspects of the grant execution to comply with NSO's guidelines, deadlines, including managing annual work plans, performance monitoring plans, output documentation, report preparations and budget management. He/she will report to the relevant Programme Coordinator, ICTs at CTA.
Specifically, the successful candidate will:
- Collaborate with the consortium partners on the management, administrative and implementation issues of the G4AW activity, as well as related ICT4Ag activities at CTA;
- Communicate clearly with all partners on all aspects of project performance and implementation;
- Actively work to identify opportunities and challenges in meeting project output objectives and direct project partners to meet project performance goals;
- Manage all aspects of grant execution to comply with NSO’s guidelines, deadlines and regulations; including but not limited to writing of the annual work plans, performance monitoring plans, output documentation, report preparations and budget management;
- Organize and document outcomes of the geoPuu activity through publications, social media and websites;
- Ensure annual narrative and financial reports are delivered according to NSO standard and deadline;
- Identify and coordinate opportunities to collaborate with other relevant entities;
- Strategize with partners based on the project proposal to ensure sustainability of the initiative after the NSO funding ends;
- Knowledge of NSO operational system will be an advantage;
Qualifications, experience & skills
Candidates must be nationals of one of the ACP or EU States signatory to the Cotonou Agreement ( 79 African, Caribbean and Pacific States and the European Union Member States).
Education: Master’s degree in related subject work such as grant management in development projects, agricultural development, ICTs, agricultural economics, extension education, adult education, community development, business management, or related areas;
Work experience: at least 5 years of relevant experience in project management, preferably in ICT4Ag or related area;
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting, financial management, report writing and team coordination;
- Experience and keen interest in agricultural development in West Africa (in Ghana will be an advantage)
Professional knowledge & skills:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills to deal effectively with mid and high-level partner contacts, the host government, and the local communities;
- Excellent skills in writing and presenting reports and findings to peer and non-peer audiences;
- Thorough knowledge of English and other local languages in Ghana;
- Excellent IT skills;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively against tight deadlines;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team and to perform under pressure;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, to be flexible and client-oriented;
- Skills in problem solving and negotiation.
Appointment and conditions of employment
The Project Manager geoPuu will be appointed by the Director of the CTA upon the recommendation of the Selection Committee.
- Type of contract: short term, category auxiliary staff, level 3C
- Contract duration: 1 year (with a 6 months' probation period) with the possibility of renewal until the end of the project.
- Gross annual income: € 42,552 (mostly tax-free).
- Comprehensive benefits package.
How to apply
Interested candidates are required to send their application via email or mail. Applications should include:
- A letter of motivation (maximum one page) explaining why the candidate qualifies for this position;
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, preferably EUROPASS format ;
- Copies of the highest diploma/degree as well as training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to be presented once a candidate is selected.
Applications submitted by email should be sent to Pascal Deleu, Human Resources Officer. Email: HR5@cta.int Please indicate in the “ Subject” of the email the title ‘Project Manager - geoPuu’’. Deadline for applications : 15 February 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. A written/oral test may be requested in addition to the interview.