CTA seeks to recruit a Team Leader - Agribusiness and Value Chains to support the implementation of CTA's Strategy 2015-2020 in the areas of Agribusiness, Climate and Nutrition-Smart Value Chains.
1. About CTA
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is a joint international institution of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the European Union (EU). Its mission is to advance food security, resilience and inclusive economic growth in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific through innovations in sustainable agriculture. CTA operates under the framework of the Cotonou Agreement and is funded by the EU.
CTA's envisions agriculture in ACP countries as a vibrant, modern and sustainable business that creates value for smallholder farmers, entrepreneurs, youth and women, and produces affordable, nutritious and healthy food for all.
2. Background of the post
The Team Leader will support the implementation of CTA's Strategy 2015-2020 in the areas of Agribusiness, Climate and Nutrition-Smart Value Chains, the Team Leader will play a key role in defining CTA's strategic niche: its offerings, the targets, the market fit, the beneficiaries, key stakeholders and partners, and the revenue streams to sustain CTA's programme in Agribusiness and Value Chains. The Team Leader will also be responsible for managing the team and delivering results as well as impacts linked to CTA's corporate log frame.
The ideal candidate would have a strong commitment to development and interest in engaging with different stakeholders, in particular, the private sector, to achieve desired outcomes.
3. Duties & responsibilities
The Team Leader reports to the Programme Manager for Policies, Markets and ICTS (PMI). He/she supervises a team of programme coordinators and project assistants within the programme.
In accordance with general policies, procedures, and budgets the Team Leader directs the following activities:
- Provide technical leadership and coordination for the Team;
- Work with Team members to identify strategic priorities aligned to CTA's Impact Pathway and position CTA as a key player in the specific area of work;
- Provide leadership across CTA and within the team as the major subject matter expert in agribusiness;
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual programme of work and budget for the Team, in line with strategic priorities;
- Oversee the development of major projects being designed and developed by the Team, ensures they follow internal processes and are approved by the relevant committees (e.g. Programme Committee, Communications Committee);
- Ensure that projects are monitored and focused on reaching the targets set out in individual log frames;
- Ensure that relevant M&E plans are developed and implemented, and learning is a priority in the Team;
- Manage the budget allocated to the specific area and ensures that funds are spent on time and in line with budget forecasts;
- Supervises both technical and administrative staff working in the Team, ensuring staff develop clear annual performance goals and assess their performance;
- Checks/approves that timesheets are properly filled by staff in the Team;
- Puts together the Team's contribution to CTA's annual narrative report and other corporate publications.
4. Qualifications and experience required
- Master or PhD in business administration, finance, agricultural economics or similar field.
- Minimum 10 years' experience in agribusiness, working in private sector, government or international organizations.
- At least 5 years' experience in a management capacity.
- Extensive experience in working in developing regions, especially in Africa.
Professional knowledge & skills:
- In-depth knowledge of agribusiness issues and a good network of private sector contacts in developing countries.
- Strong analytical skills including experience preparing clear briefing materials from complex subject matter.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including change management.
- Ability to work with a team.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Fluency in English; working knowledge of French advantageous.
Behaviours and attitudes:
- Committed to development.
- Team player.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Organisational and planning skills.
- Efficiency, flexibility and diplomacy.
5. Appointment and conditions of employment
The applicants must be a national of one of the ACP or EU States signatory to the Cotonou Agreement (79 African, Caribbean and Pacific States and the European Union Member States).
The Team Leader Agribusiness and Value Chains will be appointed by the Director of the CTA upon the recommendation of a Selection Committee.
The conditions of employment are as follow:
- Type of contract: short term, category auxiliary staff, level 2B.
- Duration of the contract: 2 years (with a 6 months' probationary period and renewable).
- Gross annual income: € 100.911, mostly tax-free.
- Comprehensive benefits package.
6. How to apply
Interested candidates are required to send their application via email or mail to Pascal Deleu, Human Resources Officer. Email address: email@example.com Please indicate in the 'Subject' of the email the title 'Team Leader Agribusiness and Value Chains'. Deadline for applications: 20 August 2017.
Applications should include:
- One-page letter of motivation explaining why he/she qualifies for this position;
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, preferably EUROPASS format (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae);
- Scanned copies of the relevant diplomas as well as training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to be presented once a candidate is selected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. A written/oral test may be requested in addition to the interview.
CTA is an equal opportunity employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.